Sunday 26 July 2009

Heidi

As we are soon heading off to the Austrian mountains, I borrowed the classical Swiss story of Heidi from the library. I found it in a lovely abridged edition from Usborne, illustrated with watercolours by Alan Marks and a simple, accessible text from Susanna Davidson. It is based on the story by Johanna Spyri. The book is in a nice large hardback format, with two sentences per page. Perfect for 4-year-old DS1.

Here is a photo from the book, where Heidi spends her first night at her grandfather's.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Heidi-Picture-Book-Classics/dp/0794517161/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248603003&sr=8-1 The Amazon feature mentions a CD, which we do not have in the library's version of the book: this suits me, as I am not rushed by the pace of the CD and can add extra explanations where needed. For instance, the book does not explain why Heidi's parents are dead. I could not remember precisely, so I said: I think they very ill and since in those days they did not have as much good medication as now, Heidi's parents died from their illness. DS1 was satisfied with this explanation.

DS1 liked the book so much after we first read it this morning, he said he wants to read it after breakfast every day from now on! We will see... There are always many interesting things to do after breakfast.

In any case, I am even keener than before to breathe in fresh mountain air next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment